RECIPE: Lemon Pudding

I have just typed this out for a student - we were talking about "retro desserts" and this dessert that my mum used to make for dinner parties in the eighties/nineties was discussed. Caroline asked for the recipe, so I typed it up for her. And now you can share it too:



M'NAN'S LEMON PUDDING:

110g butter
170g sugar
Trifle sponges/ boudoir biscuits/home made sponge cake
4 eggs (separated)
Juice and rind of 2 lemons
+  55g sugar
Juice 1 lemon

1.       Mix the 55g sugar & juice of lemon together. Soak the sponge in the syrup.
2.       Cream the butter & sugar together
3.       Beat the egg yolks & lemon juice and rind. Add to butter mixture.
4.       Beat the whites until they are stiff. Fold into the mixture.
5.       Layer the sponges and the butter cream mixture in a container that can be frozen. Start and finish with a sponge layer.
6.       Freeze for at least 24 hours.
7.       To serve either: turn out as a block onto a plate, and serve in slices
                       Or: defrost for about an hour, turn into a serving bowl and gently mash so that the sponge and buttercream are mixed together. Top with fresh whipped cream and nuts. 

Thinking about it, if you wanted to swop the sugar/lemon syrup for a lemon liquer, like limoncello, that might add another dimension!

It's not a very pretty looking dessert, but I remember that I loved it! My neices still demand it when they visit mum.
I've called it M'Nan's Lemon Pudding, as Rose & Ruth still refer to mum as M'Nan (= "My Nan".It's to be said in a strong scouse accent!)


This picture has a slight look of M'Nan's Lemon pudding, but it uses ginger nuts & ginger nut crumbs on top...which make it look very pretty!



Thanks to everyone who has commented recently. I'll make replies to your comments at the weekend when I have slightly more time to consider my blog posts.

Comments

  1. YUMMY! I love lemon EVERYTHING! Thank you for the recipe, Mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think I even have some limoncello that someone made for me, lurking at the back of the drinks shelf somewhere...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts