Another week's Menus. Miam-miam!

And after my post about the recent events in Paris, I am writing a more mundane post about food and suchlike...



Oh dear...I notice there were 121 and now there are 120 - Followers, that is. I wonder who I offended, or didn't interest. Oh well, Followers come and Followers go. Thank you to those who are faithful readers and/or commenters. It's good to have you on the journey.

Our food this week consists of mostly new recipes that I'm trying - we rarely seem to eat the same thing twice in this household, except for old standbys like chilli, or pasta bake. I'm often trying new dishes, mostly because I get bored cooking the same thing over and over. I used to do that before I meal-planned, because I could never work out what to do with the ingredients that I had languishing in my fridge. That, or when I was shopping without a list, I would buy rather random ingredients, or buy ingredients for things I could think of "on the hoof".

So, today we are having Lebanese Poussin with spiced aubergine pilaf. Except my poussin are, in fact, chicken legs!



1 aubergine, roughly diced

1 tbsp olive oil, plus a bit extra
2 small poussin(or 2 chicken legs!)
¼ tsp allspice, plus 2 good pinches
2 bay leaves
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
100g basmati rice
2 tbsp pine nuts
½ tsp ground cinnamon
good pinch of ground cloves
200ml hot chicken stock (or gluten-free alternative)
2 tbsp currants
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tbsp chopped mint, plus a few leaves and sprigs to serve
1 tbsp chopped dill, plus a few leaves and sprigs to serve
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (For 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses substitute two tablespoons honey and two tablespoons balsamic or regular vinegar).

·  Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4. Toss the aubergine in 1 tbsp of the oil until well coated. Pour into a large roasting tin, then push to the sides of the tin to make a space for the poussins. Rub some oil onto the skin of the poussins, sprinkle with the pinches of allspice, salt and lots of black pepper, pop a bay leaf inside each bird, then roast for 35 mins. (Leave to cook for about 10 mins before you start the pilaf so they are ready at the same time.)
·  To make the pilaf, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a medium pan and fry the onion for 5-8 mins until golden. Tip in the rice and pine nuts, stir for about 1 min, then add the spices, including the ¼ tsp allspice. Pour in the stock, stir in the currants, then cover the pan and cook for 7 mins.
·  Take the lid off the pan, add the tomato, mint and dill, then cover and cook 2-3 mins more until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
·  Meanwhile, once the poussins have had their 35 mins, drizzle the pomegranate molasses over them and return them to the oven for 10 mins more until they and the aubergines are tender.
·  Set the poussins aside to rest for a few mins while you toss the aubergine into the pilaf. Serve the poussins whole, or portion and serve on top of the pilaf.
 

SOURCE: bbcgoodfood.com
MONDAY: Sweet potato and bean cakes, with salad and maybe a few potato wedges. A sauce made with yoghurt and mango chutney.
TUESDAY: fasting Chicken-and-vegetable stirfry. It was going to be Hairy Dieters Light Chicken Satay, but I forgot to take my list with me when I went shopping, and thus didn't remember to buy the necessary peanut butter. It's not that easy to find in France, so I can't just pop down to Sh-Carrefour to get it. 
WEDNESDAY: A ready meal that I found in Lidl - pasta in a cheese sauce with sausages. This means that Mr FD will be able to pop it in the microwave just before (or just after!) I get home from dancing, and he'll have time to go to see our friend Alison for apèros as well. 
I may just buy a couple more sausages...they look a bit small! To be eaten with green beans.

THURSDAY: Mushroom paprikash and rice. Or maybe with a jacket potato.


  SOURCE: bbcgoodfood.com
FRIDAY:fasting Simple Spanish Omelette with salad. Another fasting day, and a quick meal for when I get back late-ish after teaching and shopping. 
I only fasted one day last week - Tuesday - as on Thursday I was going out for lunch with my students, and on Friday I had a Galette de Rois evening with my Line Dancing group.  Because I was teaching until 6.30, and the evening didn't start till 8.00 I took myself off to a pizza restaurant for my supper - the pizza was okay, but not very crisp, but I enjoyed the meal anyway. The dancing was great fun as usual, although I found it difficult to chat to people (the same in English!) I was happy though that as I stood alone, waiting for something to happen one of the ladies in my beginners group came over and told me to come and sit with them, so I wasn't all alone. They didn't talk to me much, but at least they made the effort!! (Equally, one could argue that I didn't talk to them much either!)

My efforts to walk more have been partly successful: I went for a walk last Saturday, Tuesday lunchtime and yesterday afternoon. Yesterday was the longest walk, not very energetic, but some distance around the woods near the village. I went with Alison, the children and Marvin the dog. We met Mr FD on the way (who had already done the same walk at speed!) who came round again at a more sedate pace.

Again, thank you for comments.
MAGS & POMPOM: I don't feel at all visionary - but thank you for your encouragement! I hope Mr Badger enjoys his travels. I will look forward to reading about them on various blogging sites, but due to the fact I'll be in the UK for summer & not sure when I'll be back in France to receive the old boy, I won't commit to hosting him. I would love to see the book though! The WitW book that people blogged about with the three friends looked amazing!

MAGGIE - did you try the mushroom fajitas? What did you think?

FISHCAKE RANDOM is in for Pay It Forward. Anyone else?


Comments

  1. Lovely sounding food. Some would make very good pub grub! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost two followers the day I made some off the cuff comment about not being bothered to do one of those new year blog posts involving copying and pasting!! Luckily, earnt two new ones this week which is great for me as new followers is something rare!

    I am definitely trying the sweet potatoe and bean cakes! My husband has decided to be veggie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard not to notice the numbers, even if we don't know and have never even gotten a comment from most of them. But we are who we are, and should continue to be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts